The night before we were to leave, I took the advice of another parent and drew two pictures: one of our house and luggage with a plane: DAKOTA (since that is what they called our home); and one of the orphanage with all the kids and their two backpacks: BRESMA (the name of the orphanage). We laid out all the clothes, toys, jewelry, and snacks on the bed. As I held up each item, I asked "Dakota or BRESMA?"
THIS was my toughest moment...because (with the exception of food items) they almost always said "Dakota." They knew that anything that returned with them would become free game for all the kids, would eventually get ruined, and would not remain special. So, even their new favorite stuffed animals and sunglasses and dolls would go home in our suitcases. We did insist that they keep a few of the clothes they might outgrow, the soccer ball, and the jumpropes (telling them we would bring more next time). We found them trying to sneak in all our shampoo, lotions, and even the pads of butter from supper!